BioWare’s science-fantasy multiplayer, Anthem, has been gaining quite a bit of traction lately, what with all the new information released, setting up the stage for a grand debut on February 22, 2019.
One of the game’s most prominently marketed features is the Javelin — Anthem’s classes are tied to their equippable exo-suits, so you can change things up whenever you like. With four Javelins available, all of which are conveniently colour-coded like the Hogwarts Houses — Harry Potter fans will likely find their functionalities pretty easy to remember — Anthem’s recently revealed the specific weaponry each Javelin comes with, so you can get a sense of what will best suit your play style.
All Javelins can be equipped with two weapons before loadout, and these may be switched around between missions. Rangers, Interceptors and Storms can be equipped with everything, save for Heavy Weapons, which is reserved solely for the Colossus. As a trade-off, the Colossus cannot use the two smallest weapon types, Pistols and SMGs.
As the first class players can access, the Ranger’s decked out in yellow and looks like a fairly decent jack of all trades. It’s got a fairly diverse arsenal, allowing for adequate melee and range damage, crowd-control and support.
Ranger Javelin Melee Ability
- Shock Mace: Deploys an electrified mace to send a large amount of voltage through its enemies at close-range.
Ranger Javelin Grenade Gear
It looks like we won’t have a lot of them on hand — modified grenades like Frost and Seeker are found out in the field — but the grenades do seem pretty nifty, probably geared towards saving your ass when you’re in a pinch with some much-appreciated crowd-control. Different grenades bring different functionalities to the table:
- Frag Grenade: Deals impressive damage in a large area of effect.
- Inferno Grenade: Ignites an area, dealing damage and setting enemies ablaze.
- Frost Grenade: Damages and freezes enemies in place.
- Seeker Grenades: Splits into smaller sub-munitions which seek out the nearest enemy.
- Sticky Bomb: Attaches to a single target for a contained, high-damage blast.
Ranger Javelin Assault Launcher Gear
Modules will need to be loaded in the Ranger’s wrist-launcher before you can set them off. It seems to do some burst damage, so we reckon you’ll have to time the use of your assault launcher to make the most of it.
- Homing Missile: Fires a projectile that seeks out a target for a small area-of-effect explosion.
- Energy Pulse: Unleashes a blast of pure energy, hitting a single target with incredible force.
- Spark Beam: Fires a sustained beam of energy for continuous damage.
- Venom Darts: Launches a volley of darts that seek out a target for acid damage.
- Blast Missile: Fires a missile that explodes for area-of-effect damage.
Ranger Javelin Support Gear
- Bulwark Point: Deploys a spherical field which deflects incoming enemy projectiles.
- Muster Point: Creates a field which increases weapon damage for teammates who enter its radius.
Ranger Javelin Ultimate Ability
- Multi-Target Missile Battery: Dealing precise damage across a wide swath of the battlefield, the Ranger’s Multi-target Missile Battery allows it to target many fast-moving enemies with guided projectiles.
Introduced by BioWare as a not-so-gentle giant, and evidently, the tank of the lot, if you prefer to go slow, then the angry red Colossus is probably your go-to Javelin. It looks like the Colossus will have a nicely beefed up defence, along with a decent dose of explosive power, although, as in the vein of all tanks, you probably shouldn’t expect to flit around with this suit.
Colossus Javelin Melee Ability
- Heavy Smash: The Colossus can use its massive chassis as a weapon both in a diving smash attack from the air and a hammering melee attack. This not only clears out smaller enemies instantly, but has a chance to knock down foes and leave them open to follow-up attacks.
Colossus Javelin Ordnance Launcher Gear
The Colossus’ ordnance launchers are mounted on its shoulders and seem to be capable of targeting enemies both near and far.
- High Explosive Mortar: Launches an explosive projectile that deals heavy area-of-effect damage.
- Burst Mortar: Fires a volley of smaller mortars that spread out to pummel a wider area of effect.
- Firewall Mortar: Fires a specialized mortar round that ignites a wall of flame, heavily damaging enemies that try to move through it.
- Lightning Coil: Strikes a single random target with an arc of electricity in front of the Colossus, prioritising targets with status effects.
- Shock Coil: Emits waves of electricity out from the Colossus, damaging all nearby enemies.
Colossus Javelin Heavy Assault Launcher Gear
Like the Ranger, the Colossus has an arm-launcher which seems to be able to dish out a significant amount of damage.
- Heavy Cannon: Fires a large rocket in a targeted direction.
- Flame Thrower: Unleashes a continuous stream of fire to ignite enemies.
- Flak Cannon: Barrages nearby enemies with a short-range arc of projectiles.
- Railgun: Devastates a single-target with a forceful and precise kinetic round.
- Acid Spitter: Expels an acid projectile to damage enemies.
Colossus Javelin Support Gear
The support gear afforded to the Colossus is really standard fare for tanks, but sometimes old is gold. Staunch tank gamers may appreciate the ease of familiarity, if anything.
- Taunt: Forces all enemies within a certain radius to divert their attacks to the Colossus.
- Deflector Pulse: Gives all nearby allies a damage-resistance buff.
Colossus Javelin Ultimate Ability
- Siege Cannon: The Siege Cannon is ideal for clearing out smaller enemies, controlling enemies in a choke point, or putting some extra damage on a boss.
Where the Colossus is slow and steady, the vibrant green Interceptor’s really all about speed. In standard RPG terminology, it’ll likely be the rogue. According to BioWare, Interceptors excel at getting up close and personal with the enemy to deal significant melee damage, before zipping away.
Interceptor Javelin Exosuit Melee Ability
- Double-Bladed Daggers: The Interceptor uses a pair of double-bladed daggers to deliver a multi-hit flurry of slashes, dealing damage in a chain of powerful attacks that can be continued indefinitely.
Interceptor Javelin Exosuit Technique Gear
Interceptors can equip three system gears in their loadout, one from each of the sections here.
Interceptor Javelin Assault Systems
- Seeker Glaive: Throws out a razor-sharp projectile that seeks out the nearest target.
- Acid Bomb: Tosses a grenade which explodes, splashing all nearby enemies with acid.
- Cryo Glaive: Launches out a projectile that locks on to a nearby target and freezes it on impact.
- Cluster Mine: Throws out a group of mines onto a targeted area which explode on contact with an enemy.
- Spark Dash: Dashes forward, leaving behind a trail of electricity that damages enemies.
Interceptor Javelin Strike Systems
- Star Strike: Charges an enemy with energy which explodes after a delay. The explosion deals increased damage if the target is destroyed before the full delay.
- Plasma Star: Tosses a plasma-empowered shuriken at a single target, effective at long range.
- Nova Strike: Sends out a projection of the Interceptor which will attack enemies it comes in contact with.
- Tempest Strike: A devastating single-target attack that can stun smaller enemies.
- Corrosive Spray: Sprays out a jet of corrosive acid that damages all enemies hit.
Interceptor Javelin Support Systems
- Target Beacon: Marks a target for increased damage which will switch to another enemy if the marked target is destroyed.
- Rally Cry: Removes status effects from all nearby allies.
Interceptor Javelin Ultimate Ability
- Assassin’s Blades: The Interceptor becomes supercharged, arming its Assassin’s Blades and carving through enemies at high speed.
If you’re familiar with RPGs, you’ll probably recognise Storm to be the Mage. With all that talk about harnessing the energy of Anthem, Storm’s cast in an expected shade of electric blue and it does seem fairly… magicky, compared to the rest of its more physically-tethered counterparts. It offers a nice range of elemental attacks — yes, all very mage-like, and very much in line with its name, Storm.
Storm Javelin Melee Ability
- Fiery Strike: The Storm uses the seals on its arm to deliver an explosive flash that deals damage and knocks back enemies that have gotten too close, giving the Storm time to reposition at a safe distance.
Storm Javelin Kinesis Gear Abilities
Similar to the Interceptor’s systems, three kinesis gear abilities can be equipped to a Storm Javelin at any one point of time, one from each of the sections here.
Storm Javelin Blast Seals
- Lightning Strike: A targeted strike that deals lightning damage in an area.
- Ice Storm: Creates a field of ice that deals damage, rapidly building to a final explosion of frost.
- Flame Burst: A quick explosion that deals fire damage at a target location.
- Rime Blast: Fires out a flurry of ice projectiles that deal damage and freeze close-range targets.
- Living Flame: A burst of flame energy that seeks out and ignites targets.
Storm Javelin Focus Seals
- Hoarfrost Shards: Rapid-fire shards of ice that slowly freeze a target in place.
- Fireball: A versatile fire ability that can be fired quickly in small shots or charged for a larger projectile that explodes.
- Ball Lightning: A discharge of electric energy that can be bounced off of walls to reach targets behind cover.
- Glacial Beam: Fires a beam of powerful ice energy in a targeted direction.
- Arc Burst: Unleashes a blast of lightning that will leap to nearby targets for heavy damage.
Storm Javelin Support Seals
- Wind Wall: Generates a defensive wall of wind that deflects incoming enemy projectiles.
- Nexus: Creates a field which provides gear cooldown reduction to teammates who enter its radius.
Storm Javelin Ultimate Ability
- Elemental Storm: Manipulating the raw force of the Anthem, the Storm emits successive blasts of frost, electricity, and fire — ending with a meteoric finale.
JoYFQ is a Gryffindor who distracts herself from the pitfalls of capitalism and hegemonic representations by reading fanfiction. Has surprisingly good RNG luck in games. Probably just jinxed herself.
Drop a Facebook comment below!
More Info: geekculture.co